FIU will proudly host the 31st Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Celebration during the month of January. FIU’s Office of Multicultural Programs and Services has steadily planned one of the finest annual commemorations honoring Dr. King's legacy.
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Celebration Committee is pleased to announce it is now accepting nominations for this year's MLK Hall of Fame inductee.
FIU's MLK Hall of Fame recognizes FIU alumni who have connected with the university through their engagement, service and contributions either to a department, college or the university as a whole, with a focus on minorities. Each inductee has distinguished professional achievement in their industry and has made significant contributions impacting the multicultural environment.
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Must have graduated from and be in good standing with FIU.
- Connected with FIU through his/her engagement, service and contributions either to a department, college or the university, with a focus on minorities.
- Have distinguished professional achievement within their industry.
- Made significant contributions impacting multicultural environment.
- Can’t be actively running for public office.
- Must not be in any current legal investigation or proceeding.
The inductee will receive the following:
- Recognition as one of FIU’s most outstanding alumni during the MLK Commemorative Breakfast.
- Photograph and biography of inductee to be featured on the Wall of Fame.
- Invitation to and presentation at the Kick-off Reception to be held in the Phillip and Patricia Frost Art Museum.
- Invitation to and recognition at the MLK Speaker’s and Awards Reception.
- Invitation to and recognition at the 31st Annual MLK Commemorative Breakfast Celebration.
The nomination process is as follows:
- Nomination: Any member of the university community can nominate.
- Submission: All nominations must be completed by November 1.
- Review: The list of nominees will be initially reviewed by the MLK Commemorative Celebration Committee, then submitted to the Executive Director of the FIU Alumni Association to ensure that all nominees are in good standing with the university.
- Recommendation: The Executive Director of the Alumni Association will recommend finalists to the Office of the President for final approval by December 10.
- Notification: The President of the University, the Executive Director of the Alumni Association, and the Chair of the MLK Commemorative Celebration Committee will notify the inductee.