Florida International University (FIU) proudly announces the 29thAnnual Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Celebration to be held during the month of January. FIU’s Office of Multicultural Programs and Services (MPAS) have steadily planned one of the finest annual commemorations honoring the legacy of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The 2020 Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Committee is pleased to announce that it is now accepting nominations for the 2020 MLK Hall of Fame Inductee.
The award recognizes individuals who:
- Must have graduated and in good standing with FIU.
- Must have made a philanthropic gift to the university.
- Connected with FIU through his/her engagement, service and contributions either to a department, college or the university, with a focus on minorities.
- Have distinguished professional achievement within their industry.
- Made significant contributions impacting multicultural environment.
- Can’t be actively running for public office.
- Must not be in any current legal investigation or proceeding.
- Connected with FIU through his/her engagement, service, and contributions either to a department, college, or university with a focus on minorities.
The inductee will receive the following:
- Recognition as one of FIU’s most outstanding alumnus during the 2020 MLK Commemorative Breakfast.
- Photograph and biography of inductee to be featured on the Wall of Fame.
- Invitation and presentation at the Kick-off Reception to be held in the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum.
- Invitation and recognition at the MLK Speaker’s and Awards Reception.
- Invitation and recognition at the 29thAnnual MLK Commemorative Breakfast Celebration.
The nomination process is as follows:
- Nomination: Any member of the university community can nominate.
- Submission: All the paperwork has to be submitted by November 15, 2019 to Dr. Jeannette Cruz, Chair, MLK Commemorative Celebration Committee.
- Review: The list of nominees will be initially reviewed by the 2020 MLK Commemorative Celebration Committee, then submitted to the Executive Director of the FIU Alumni Association to ensure that all nominees are in good standing with the university.
- Recommendation:The Executive Director of the Alumni Association will recommend finalists to the Office of the President for final approval.
- Notification:The President of the University, Executive Director of the Alumni Association, and the Chair of the MLK Commemorative Celebration Committee will notify the inductee.